My name is Hillary and I workout because I love food. I like potatoes and rice and cake and chocolate and diet sodas. But I also love being healthy. So that is why I workout, because I can eat my favorite foods without being unhealthy. So, now that I’ve said that let’s get into what I actually do…
I started a very crazy workout a couple weeks back. I was off and on the workout because of sickness, holidays, etc etc. So I finally wanted to get back onto it. So I wanted to share with you my basic workout and meals because I know so many people are trying to do New Years workout resolutions. So below you will see my “big workouts” and my “little workouts.” The big ones require more or less being at the gym, the little ones do not. I did this because I don’t always want to or have the time to go to the gym and I know most people are the same way.
You will also see my meal plan. I eat 6 small meals and try to drink at least 8 glasses on water and two glasses of hot green tea a day. I also love milk so I drink at least one glass of milk a day. I also don’t always stick to my diet…I try to follow it for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week, but give myself a break on my dinners. I know dinner is the hardest, because it’s after work and working out and with family, plus sometimes you just want a big bowl of pasta. So I still indulge in the foods I love (red velvet cake, bagels, cheese, and chocolate), but I eat them in smaller more manageable portions. Plus I always tend to feel bad after eating them so I do an extra set of push ups or crunches or running. Haha.
Here are a few rules that I try to follow:
- If at all possible workout with a friend. It will help keep you going and on track. If you don’t have a friend or they can’t always workout with you then set reminders for yourself on your phone.
- Treat yourself. I like to vary the way I do it (and I don’t base it off any sort of weight loss) based on how I feel that day. If I’ve had a really good workout week I’ll admit myself a whole slice of cake or cupcake or I’ll download a movie from iTunes to watch at my next workout. Sounds dumb, but it’s something to look forward to.
- Limit your alcohol intake. This isn’t a huge deal for me, I don’t drink a whole lot so it’s not a problem. But I know it can be a big problem for a lot of people, so I say limit yourself to a total of four drinks a week! You can also treat yourself with an extra drink after a really good workout week.
- Vary your routine. This is what really keeps me going. I hate doing weights, especially upper body weights so I like to find various ways to do this without actual weights. I also have a terrible love for really bad workout videos! And sometimes I don’t want to go to the gym (especially right now when it’s so packed with resolution people). Also check out some of the classes at your gym, they might not be long enough or fulfill enough for a full workout but it is a good way to start and to keep from getting bogged down by the same routine! Also if you have Netflix you can find a variety of workout videos to do that burn calories and keep you going. Or check out this site, she’s got some great videos.
- Pace yourself. It’s really hard to change your diet, workout 5 days a week, work/go to school, sleep, and have a social life. So take it slow. Start out with trying to workout 3 days a week while trying to get your diet into check. And build up. This will help you maintain your routine and learn what works best for you.
- Get outside. Don’t get me wrong, I love the gym. But nothing is better than fresh air. But I hate running in the cold. And it’s quite cold right now, so sometimes you have to suck it up. Get outside, go kayaking or paddle boarding on the lake (most places have rentals), take your dog for a run or walk, run stadium steps, just get outside. The fresh air will help keep you going and it will be a much needed break from the same ole gym scene.
You can also check out my fitness board. It is always growing and I will slowly be trying out the various workouts with reviews and tips. But in the mean time, go check them out!
These are just a few of my tips. I will post more as I continue on my workout routine. Let me know what your workout woes are, what inspires you, and what is hardest for you! We can do this together.